Have been pondering on doing a one name study (ONS) for a while, but wasn’t sure about committing myself in doing one. Also was difficult trying to decide which surname to do. (see below for the process steps)
But I have finally decided and going with TWO surnames!, one for each side of my family. The two surnames I picked are Whitnall (my mothers side) & Merriman (my dads side)
Have now registered both the surnames with Guild of One-Name Studies & the Surname Society
– Making a surname shortlist
– Seeing where the clusters were (in my personal family tree)
– Sussing out surname stats, for this I looked at the “Surnames of England and Wales” website as well as the “forebears” website
– Sussing out scale of what would be involved (looking at Ancestry, Find my Past, Familysearch etc
– Til finally I go “mad” and just dive in
Oh nearly forgot to mention, I ordered the Guild’s book “Seven Pillars of Wisdom” The art of One Name Studies.
So just waiting till I hear back from the Guild, meanwhile I’m going make a start!
That’s all I have for now, so till next time, stay tuned for some more Ancestry Adventures!